About Our Huntsville Community
Learn More about Who Huntsville Memorial Hospital Serves
City of Huntsville is located in the heart of
Walker County in east Texas, roughly 170 miles sought of Dallas (via Interstate 45)
and 70 miles north of Houston. The city is also accessible on Texas Highway
30 just west of Bryan-College Station and Highway 190. The city's
neighboring communities include Riverside and New Waverly.
Huntsville stretches out over 31 square miles—just a small portion
of Walker County's 790 square miles. Walker County includes Lake Huntsville
and is surrounded by the Sam Houston National Forest. The Huntsville population
stands at roughly 35,000. The total population of Walker County is 61,758.
The City of Huntsville has a council/manager form of government.
Huntsville's nearest airport is Huntsville Municipal, which includes
a 5,000 runway. An hour outside of Houston is Huntsville's nearest
deep-water port and the George Bush Intercontinental Airport as well.
Huntsville is served by Greyhound Bus and most of the major parcel delivery
Residents in Huntsville and Walker County enjoy winters where temperatures
fall below freezing an average of only one day a year. Cloudiness and
fog are more prevalent in winter than in other seasons, yet the area continues
to receive about 50 percent of the total sunshine possible. Summers are
hot and humid, with little variation in day-to-day conditions except for
occasional thundershowers that help to dissipate afternoon heat. Spring
and fall weather is delightful, featuring moderate temperatures and long
periods of sunny days and cool nights.
Major Employers in Walker County
- Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice - State Prison - 6,271employees - est. 1848
- Sam Houston State University - Education - 3,099 employees - est. 1879
- Huntsville Independent School District - Education - 900 employees - est. 1888
- Wal-Mart - Retail - 488 employees - est. 1979
- Huntsville Memorial Hospital - Medical - 561 employees - est. 1927
- Educational Service Center Region VI - Education - 389 employees - est. 1967
- Walker County - Government - 365 employees - est. 1846
- City of Huntsville - Municipal - 327 employees - est. 1845
- Weatherford Oil Drilling - Equipment - 210 employees - est. 1989
- Gulf Coast Trade Center - Education - 200 employees - est. 1971
- Home Depot - Retail - 100 employees - est. 2002
- Gardner Glass - Glass Products - 71 employees - est. 1996
This information was developed by the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce. For
more facts about Huntsville, visit